The ABS recently announced they will be ending self-reporting of CME credit and requiring the credit be reported by the accredited provider (AAH CME Office) starting July 1, 2023 (Click here to read the full announcement).
As an ABS diplomate, what do I need to do?
Claim CME credit within 30 days of the activity. We cannot retroactively assign credit or report your credit to ABS. Remember, we are not reporting all CME to ABS; only activities that have surgeons in the target audience. To identify activities that will be reported on your behalf please look for the ABS accreditation statement & logo on activity landing pages and flyers.
Update your CE Profile.
- For the CME office to report your credit, the ABS requires we have the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Month and day of birth
- Diplomates must enter this information into their profiles on the CE Learning Platform prior to attending any CE activities after July 1, 2023. Failure to do so in time will result in the diplomate not receiving their credit.
To access your profile:
- login to your account on the CE Learning Platform.
- On the home page click “Edit My Profile”.
- Under the Specialty Board section, make sure you select your board, fill in your birth month/day, first name, and last name in their proper fields.
- Click “Save” at the bottom of the page and review your profile to make sure the information is there.
There are some important exceptions to this change:
- The ABS asks that the education gets reported to them is relevant to surgeons, particularly in the areas they offer board certification (general surgery, vascular surgery, pediatric surgery, surgical critical care, complex general surgical oncology, hand surgery, and hospice and palliative medicine) Therefore, not all CME credit will be reported to ABS.
- Surgeons will still be able to claim credit for ANY CME they participate in and apply it towards their state licensure requirements.
- To identify activities that will be reported to the ABS on your behalf please look for the ABS accreditation statement & logo on activity landing pages and flyers.
For questions or further assistance please contact the AAH CE Office at email@example.com.