Clearing Out The Bugs: The Impact of Clinical Decision Support on Antimicrobial Stewardship
This presentation will discuss various clinical decision support (CDS) tools found in the electronic health record that assist pharmacists in performing antimicrobial stewardship. The impact of these tools will be assessed through supporting primary literature that observes the CDS utility on patient outcomes. CDS tools that will be discussed include clinical decision alerts, antibiotic time outs, hard stops and best practice alerts.
This course is intended for pharmacists
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to
- Identify clinical decision tools (clinical decision alerts, antibiotic time outs, hard stops, best practice alerts) that are available within the AAH electronic health record (EHR).
- Outline antimicrobial stewardship initiatives that can be implemented using clinical decision support.
- Assess the impact that an antimicrobial stewardship clinical support tool embedded within the EHR can have on patient care.
- Apply antimicrobial stewardship strategies when responding to clinical decision alerts within a patient case.
Marvin M. Agyeben, PharmD, PGY1 Pharmacy Resident - Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
The planner(s) and speaker(s) have indicated that there are no relevant financial relationships with any ineligible companies to disclose.
In support of improving patient care, Advocate Aurora Health is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
Advocate Aurora Health designates this live activity for a maximum 1.00 hours of CPE credit for pharmacists. CPE credit can be claimed on the AAH CE platform within 60 days of activity completion and information will be provided to CPE Monitor. Participants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE)Aurora Health Care Department of Pharmacy Services is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Click “Take Course” to register for this program.
This conference is being held virtually. A link to the meeting will be provided prior to the event.
Contact the AAH Pharmacy Continuing Education team at AAH-PharmacyCPEsubmission@aah.org if you have any questions or need assistance.