Core Competency in Pain Assessment: Opiate Management
Those who work in Aurora Pain Clinics, including Physicians, PA’s, Psychologists, NP’s, Psychiatrists, EM, FM, Social Workers, Substance Abuse Counselors.
Upon completion of this educational experience, the participant will be able to demonstrate expertise in:
- The varieties of opioid receptors
- The role of the mu opioid receptor in tolerance/hyperalgesia
- The weak benefit and enormous toxicity of opioids when used for chronic pain
- ADRs of chronic opioid therapy
- Which opioids should be avoided in renal insufficiency and which and hepatic insufficiency
- How to identify evidence that a patient is developing opioid use disorder
- How to deal with drug-seeking patients
- The various opioids, how to convert between them, and their relative risks/benefits
- Withdrawal and how to treat it
Course Director: Michael McNett, MD; Aurora Health Care
The planners and speaker(s) have indicated that there are no financial relationships with any commercial interests to be disclosed.
Advocate Aurora Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Advocate Aurora Health designates this internet enduring activity for a maximum of 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 4.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit
This course is available to Aurora Health Care providers (employed and independent) and caregivers only. If you are not already logged in, please use "Aurora Login" to access the course. If you need help enrolling or logging in, please contact the Aurora CME Office at email@example.com.