Healing Refugee Trauma: A Family-Focused Approach
This workshop will explore a family-focused approach to refugee trauma with the purpose of providing techniques to improve family dynamics facing trauma survivors by closing communication gaps, opening channels of understanding, building bridges of trust, and breaking the dysfunctional vicious cycles trauma often creates.
This course is intended for Behavioral Health Physicians, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, LPCs, LCSWs, RNS and other allied mental health professionals.
At the end of this session, learners should be able to:
- Understand the impact of trauma on the psyche of its survivors
- Describe Project Untangled as a model of psycho-social care for refugees and immigrants
- Explain the role of family bonding and empowerment in breaking the cycle of dysfunction caused by trauma
Omar Reda, MD; Providence St. Vincent Medical Center and OHSU Hospital
Russell Temme, MD; Advocate Aurora Health
Munther Barakat, PsyD; Advocate Aurora Health
Cynthia Valentin, PhD; Advocate Aurora Health
Kate Graham, Manager; Advocate Aurora Health
Faculty disclosures are being reviewed and will be presented to the audience in advance of the program.
Advocate Aurora Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Advocate Aurora Health designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 2.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit
Click “Take Course” to register for this program. You will receive an email confirmation once you are registered.
Contact the Advocate Aurora Health CME Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (414) 219-5490 if you have any questions or need assistance.