Let’s get this straight: Exploring the intersection of trauma, gender, and sexuality for gender nonconforming
The speaker will explore these concerns as well as describe the significant association between gender and sexual minority status and trauma to reinforce the importance of terminology and need for additional screening in these youth. Practical tips on how to improve inclusivity and advocate for gender nonconforming and sexual minority youth will also be provided.
This course is intended for psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, and other allied health professionals who deal with mental health issues and addiction medicine.
At the end of this session, learners should be able to:
- Describe the difference between gender and sexuality, utilizing specific terminology to affirm gender nonconforming and sexual minority youth
- Recognize the extent to which individual and institutional experiences can trigger past traumas for these vulnerable youth
- Identify strategies to promote inclusivity for these youth
Laura Sheets, MD; Advocate Aurora Health
Russell Temme, MD; Advocate Aurora Health
Cynthia Valentin, PhD, APN, ARNP; Advocate Aurora Health
Paul Zenisek, LCSW, CSAC; Advocate Aurora Health
Jay Chrostowski, PsyD; Advocate Aurora Health
Munther Barakat, PsyD; Advocate Aurora Health
Anna Feeley, Medical Education Coordinator; Advocate Aurora Health
Faculty disclosures are being reviewed and will be presented to the audience in advance of the program.
Advocate Aurora Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Advocate Aurora Health designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 2.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit
Click “Take Course” to register for this program. You will receive an email confirmation once you are registered.
Registration for Fall Courses will open on May 4th, 2020.
Contact the Advocate Aurora Health CME Office at email@example.com if you have any questions or need assistance.