Opioid Physiology and Effectiveness
This course describes how opioids work, how they lose their effect and cause hyperalgesia. It will also review studies demonstrating their weak evidence of benefit and extremely high toxicity levels.
This activity is designed for Primary Care Physicians, Specialty Physicians, Advanced Practice Clinicians, and Nurses
At the end of this session, learners should be able to:
- Communicate why opioids lose their effect over time
- Describe studies indicating that opioids provide imperceptible benefit when taken longer than 2 months
- Characterize the extremely high toxicities associated with chronic and/or high-dose use
Michael McNett, MD; Advocate Aurora Health
The planners and speaker(s) have indicated that there are no financial relationships with any commercial interests to be disclosed.
Advocate Aurora Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Advocate Aurora Health designates this internet enduring activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Part II
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 1.00 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit
Please click “Take Course” to register for this program.
This course is available to Advocate Aurora providers (employed and independent) and caregivers only. If you are not already logged in, please use "Aurora Login" to access the course. If you need help enrolling or logging in, please contact Advocate Aurora Health CME Office at firstname.lastname@example.org