Protecting Our Most Vulnerable – Battling Viral Infections in Stem Cell Transplant
This presentation will focus on the prophylaxis and treatment of human cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus, and varicella zoster virus in patients that have received a stem cell transplant. A very brief overview of stem cell transplant will also be covered.
This course is intended for pharmacists
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to
- Assess broad aspects of stem cell transplant, including immunosuppression and immune reconstitution.
- Compare and contrast commonly used medications for viruses in stem cell transplant patients.
- Differentiate the risk factors, presenting symptoms, pathophysiology, prophylaxis, and treatment of major viral infections in patients receiving stem cell transplant.
- Recommend a plan for viral prophylaxis and treatment for a patient that has recently received an allogeneic stem cell transplant.
William Morrissey, PharmD, PGY1 Pharmacy Resident – Aurora Health Care Metro, Inc.
The planner(s) and speaker(s) have indicated that there are no relevant financial relationships with any ineligible companies to disclose.
In support of improving patient care, Advocate Aurora Health is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
Advocate Aurora Health designates this live activity for a maximum 1.00 hours of CPE credit for pharmacists. CPE credit can be claimed on the AAH CE platform within 60 days of activity completion and information will be provided to CPE Monitor. Participants should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE)Aurora Health Care Department of Pharmacy Services is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Click “Take Course” to register/claim credit for this program.
This conference is being held virtually. A link to the meeting will be provided prior to the event.
Contact the AAH Pharmacy Continuing Education team at AAH-PharmacyCPEsubmission@aah.org if you have any questions or need assistance.