Behavioral and Mental Health Emergencies
Mental health crises management can tend to be complex as well as challenging in any area, especially in a prehospital setting. Understanding the nature of the crises and the patient and public expectations of emergency services will generally facilitate the development regarding the most appropriate and feasible mental health pathway. It is important to remember that each person must be treated as an individual. In regards to EMS, and truly any entity, it is important to make sure that we keep ourselves safe as well as our partners responding to these calls and ensuring that all safeguards are kept in place for the continued safety of the entire crew and those involved so that we all go home at the end of the day.
This course is intended for those licensed at the EMR level through Paramedic. This course satisfies the requirements for the State of Wisconsin EMT Flexible Refresher Renewal.
At the end of this session, learners should be able to:
- Define a behavioral crisis
- More clearly understand the magnitude of mental health disorders
- Understand the pathophysiology of mental health disorders
- Make an appropriate safe approach in any behavioral health crisis
- Make and appropriate scene size-up
- Make an appropriate primary assessment of the behavioral health patient
- Obtain an appropriate history from the patient/family
- Know when and how to make a secondary assessment
- Understand acute psychosis
- Understand excited delirium
- Understand the use of restraints and the appropriateness of their utilization
- Understand posttraumatic stress disorder and the affect on veterans as well as others
FR-Roles and Responsibilities/Patient Assessment 2.0 hours
EMT-Basic - Preparatory/Patient Assessment/Medical/Behavioral/Flexible 2.0 hours
AEMT - Medical Emergencies/Flexible 2.0 hours
Paramedic - Medical Emergencies/Flexible Content 2.0 hours
(If the above categories are filled on the flexible refresher template, this course can also be utilized to fulfill flexible content).
- 2.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit