This course will integrate assessment findings along with principles, pathophysiology and knowledge of psychosocial needs in order to formulate a field impression along with implementation of a comprehensive treatment plan with OB patients as well as the infant once they have been delivered. This course will cover terminology in relationship to the OB patient as unborn/newborn infant. It will also cover the anatomy and physiology of a normal pregnancy as well as complications related to pregnancy and delivery of an infant. Obtaining a good history is also an important component of this course to ensure the appropriate care and transport decision is made to the appropriate facility for both mom and infant.
This course is intended for those licensed at the EMR level through Paramedic. This course satisfies the requirements for the State of Wisconsin EMT Flexible Refresher Renewal.
- Identify anatomic structures of the female reproductive system and their functions
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of pregnancy-related physiology by identifying appropriate statements on the menstrual cycle, ovulation, and fetal development
- Identify signs/symptoms and proper care for gynecological emergencies
- Identify the key aspects of evaluating a pregnant patient to determine if birth is imminent
- Identify the purpose and use of tools in an OB kit. 6. Identify the steps for normal delivery of an infant
- Identify how and when to cut an umbilical cord
- Identify the steps for post-delivery care of the newborn and mother including delivery of the placenta
- Identify the critical treatment interventions for complications of pregnancy including: breech (buttocks) or two limb presentation, shoulder dystocia, prolapsed cord, and postpartum bleeding
- Identify steps for assessing an infant’s APGAR score
- Identify steps for neonatal resuscitation
FR-Childbirth and Children 2.0 hours
EMT-Basic - Obstetrics, Infants, and Children 2.0 hours
AEMT - Obstetrics and Pediatrics 2.0 hour
Paramedic - Obstetrics and Pediatrics 2.0 hours
(If the above categories are filled on the flexible refresher template, this course can also be utilized to fulfill flexible content).
- 2.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit