Delirium Evaluation, Management and Prevention of Older Adults in the Perioperative Time Period
“Geriatrics for Advanced Practice”: Educational Opportunity in caring for the vulnerable older adult. Advocate Aurora Health Care in partnership with University of Alabama Birmingham and Bellin Health will deliver a continuing professional development program (three webinars and one in person session) based on best practice guidelines from the American College of Surgeons and the American Geriatrics Society. This year’s effort will focus on improving care for frail older patients in the perioperative setting.
This course is intended for Advanced Practice RNs, PAs, MDs/Dos, and RNs.
Upon completion of the activity, participants should be able to:
- Participants will be able to describe clinical risk factors which may predispose and precipitate delirium among older adults during perioperative care.
- Participants will be able to evaluate an older adult who has developed delirium in the perioperative setting.
- Participants will be able to manage an older adult who has developed delirium and describe strategies to prevent delirium in perioperative care.
Michael Malone, MD, Geriatrics, Medical Director; Advocate Aurora Health
Jennifer Hartlaub, Advanced Practice Director-Ambulatory; Advocate Aurora Health
Aaron Malsch, RN, Sr. Services Program Coordinator; Advocate Aurora Health
Ann Gallo, Sr. Services Project Coordinator; Advocate Aurora Health
Don Martinez, PA; Advocate Aurora Health
Emily Simmons, RN, UAB; University of Alabama
Megan Johnson, Nursing Care Admin, CNS; Bellin Health
Edward Marcantonio, MD, SM; Harvard Medical School; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Margaret Lee Schwarze, MD, MP, FACS; Fort Healthcare; UnityPoint Health Meriter
Sandhya Lagoo-Deenadayalan, MD, PhD; Duke University Hospital; Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Shelly McDonald, DO; Duke Regional Hospital; Duke University Hospital
The following faculty speakers and/or planning committee members have disclosed the following:
|Faculty Name||Name of Commercial Interest||Nature of Relationship|
|Michael Malone, MD||Abbott Labs; AbbVie||Stockholder|
The other planner(s) and speaker(s) have indicated that there are no relevant financial relationships with any ineligible companies to disclose. Conflict of interest have been identified and mitigated prior to the activity.
Advocate Aurora Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Advocate Aurora Health designates this internet enduring activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Aurora Health Care is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Wisconsin Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. 1.00 contact hours have been awarded to this activity by the Wisconsin Nursing Association. To receive contact hours, participants must attend the entire activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit
- 1.00 Approved AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 Continuing Nursing Education (CE)Aurora Health Care is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Wisconsin Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. 1.00 contact hours have been awarded to this activity by the Wisconsin Nursing Association. To receive contact hours, participants must attend the entire activity.