2020 - 1st Quarter Education - Pediatric Assessment
Pediatric patients are generally not something that we, as EMTs, encounter on a daily basis and many times it can be months before we encounter our next pediatric patient. It is important to note the many differences between pediatric and adult patients. Vital signs are significant different, the way that information is obtained is different as well as the approach we take when caring for a pediatric patient is vastly different than that of an adult patient.
This course is intended for those licensed at the EMR level through Paramedic. This course satisfies the requirements for the State of Wisconsin EMT Flexible Refresher Renewal.
- List and define the seven pediatric age groups
- List the different references available to EMS providers to find normal values for pediatric vital signs
- Explain why temperature is important in pediatric patients
- Describe two characteristics of normal respiratory muscle movement in pediatrics
- Describe ways in which an EMS provider can reduce a child's fear when assessing blood pressure
- Understand why capillary refill is a reliable indicator of a child's circulatory system
- Understand why a pediatric patient's body weight is important for the EMS provider and emergency care of a child
- Understand why an EMS provider's approach to a physical exam on a pediatric patient must incorporate the age as well as the emotional & psychological state of the patient
- Understand the importance of a toe-to-head examination is better suited for a toddler and preschool child
- List the differences in the level of cognitive and social competency of the preschool aged child and a toddler and how they can affect the EMS provider's response/interaction with each age group
- Understand the importance of involving a child in the history taking portion of the assessment and allow the child to make some of their own choices
FR-Airway/Patient Assessment - 1.0 hours
EMT-Basic - Airway/Obstetrics/Infants/Children - 1.0 hours
AEMT - OB & Pediatrics/Airway, Breathing, Circulation - 1.0 hours
Paramedic - OB & Pediatrics/Medical Emergencies - 1.0 hours
(If the above categories are filled on the flexible refresher template, this course can also be utilized to fulfill flexible content).
- 1.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit